Today industrial and commercial establishments are utilizing solar arrays and industrial PV systems in order. To get rid of blackouts and power outage problems associated with grid supply. Whether in the paper, steel, chemical, textile, cement, dairy, or the ceramic industry, solar power, in the form of its top solar rooftop systems is steadily becoming the new norm rather than just a mere option in India.
This has given rise to the need for their efficient operation and maintenance. If solar panels are maintained correctly and with due care, their life expectancy improves, and so does their efficiency.
In this article, we will take a look at the best ways for the operations and maintenance of solar panels.
What Are Solar Panels?
Solar panels, also known as photovoltaic panels, are used to convert light from the sun, which is composed of particles of energy called photons, into electricity that can be used for electrically powered appliances.
Panels can be used for a wide variety of applications, including remote power systems, telecommunications equipment, remote sensing, and of course, to produce electricity by residential and commercial solar electric systems.
Solar panels basically collect clean, renewable energy in the form of sunlight and convert this particular light energy into electricity which can then be used to provide power for electrical appliances.
Comprise several individual solar cells that are themselves composed of layers of silicon, phosphorous, and boron. Solar panels basically absorb the photons and, in doing so, initiate an electric current.
The resulting energy generated from photons when it strikes the surface of the solar panel allows electrons to be knocked out of their atomic orbits and released into the electric field generated by the solar cells. These then pull these free electrons into a directional current. This entire process is known as the Photovoltaic Effect.
Now that we have understood the general working of a solar panel or a solar system, it’s time to understand how you can improve the operation and maintenance of solar panels.
Best Ways For Operations And Maintenance Of Solar Panels
Operation & Maintenance is one of the most critical ways to ensure that the solar power system works efficiently and gives the best possible efficiency with some of its best solar rooftop systems.
You need to focus on improving the equipment’s life by preventing excess depreciation and impairment.
This enables the solar power plant to produce the maximum amount of energy throughout its operational life.
Things you need to take care of:
- Never miss the time-to-time repair and maintenance service offered by the providers themselves
- Check for any kind of roof penetrations or leaks into the roofs. Get rid of these issues immediately, if any
- Confirm the drainage system is error-free. Check if the drainage system is adequately built. The drains are not clogged, and no water spills or leaks are present in the tight space of the system
- If the solar system is to be mounted at the ground level. Make sure there is no erosion or other debris issues
- Keep the panels clean, dust-free, and dry
- Keep the solar panels at a safe distance
- Find out for any kind of loose hanging wires in the array
- Animal infestation and other similar issues under the array need to be checked from time to time
Component-Specific Precautions Need To Be Taken For An Efficient Solar Panels Maintenance
- Regular check-up and clean-up of modules
- Consistently cleaning solar panels, precisely where there is too much dust or dirt, especially in dusty areas such as Rajasthan.
- Checking water quality, primarily through its total dissolved solids(TDS) rates. Water quality should be tested every six months to maintain set standards.
- Equipment used in the process should be soft and made with quality material. If the dirt is not much, there isn’t an issue. But in severe damage cases, like bird droppings getting hardened or too much dust depositing in the edges and the small openings of the device might need specific equipment compatible with the device.
- Inverters and other storage devices need regular servicing on an annual basis as there is a lot more dust in India compared to other countries.
- Filters need to be cleaned appropriately and clog-free to keep them adequately ventilated. Usually, the solar system uses high-quality filters, yet you need to check the filters for any errors after a specific time.
- Keeping the solar panels safe from external factors, including breakage, improper dirt accumulation, inconsistency in cleaning, and faulty wiring/devices.
We have seen how solar panels operate and what are the best things you need to take care of to keep them efficient and properly to work for a longer time. When was the last time you checked on your solar panels if installed at your place?